The post will be advertised in the WCED vacancy list 2/2023 (https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za) in June 2023. An official application must be submitted via the WCED’s recruitment portal at that time. Potential candidates requiring further information about the school may visit our website: https://www.bhs.org.za
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and invited to present on a pre-arranged topic to the Recruitment Panel and will be expected to be available for interviews at a date, time and place determined by the school. BHS is an equal opportunities employer. The school and the WCED reserve the right not to fill the post. An expression of interest or submission of a formal application via the WCED will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview. Failure to meet the qualification and experience criteria will automatically disqualify candidates from consideration. Only short listed candidates will be interviewed.
Bergvliet High School (BHS) is searching for a dynamic, energetic, organised and strategic Deputy Principal to join the School Leadership Team. This is a vacant post and the commencement date shall be determined by the Western Cape Education Department (WCED). In addition to the requirements set out in the Personnel Administrative Measures (PAM) document 1999, applicants are sought with the following skills, qualities and experience:
FORMAL QUALIFICATION(S) AND INHERENT REQUIREMENTS:
- A recognized three year (REQV13) qualification which includes teacher education is essential.
- A recognized four year (REQV14) qualification which includes teacher education is recommended.
- A post graduate qualification in education management and leadership is recommended.
- Be registered with SACE.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience across all grade levels is essential within similar schools offering a full range of academic, cultural and sporting activities.
The successful candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Must have been in a leadership position as either Head of Subject, Department Head or Acting Department Head, Grade Head, House Head, Deputy Principal or Acting, for a minimum of 12 months.
- Have a valid driver’s license and own transport.
- In-depth teaching of a subject taught at Bergvliet High School and knowledge of the Grade 8 to Grade 12 curriculum.
- Must complete and pass a Competency Assessment prior to appointment.
- Have excellent communication skills at all levels, both verbal and written as well as public speaking skills.
- Demonstrate proven leadership ability in leading and inspiring professionals and by having an innovative approach to problem solving and mentoring of educators.
- Excellent verbal and written English proficiency. Proficiency in Afrikaans would be advantageous.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the use of Information Computer Technology and educational technology developments.
- Have a passion and drive for teaching beyond the curriculum and demonstrable evidence of incorporating innovative teaching methods to lead successful learner interventions.
The successful candidate must possess and be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- A growth mindset and the ability to think critically when resolving problems in a collaborative style.
- Provide fair and consistent professional and motivational leadership.
- Effective conflict management with the ability to ensure accountability.
- Oversight, management and control of the training and upskilling of staff to ensure their professional development.
- Ensure the ethos of academic excellence in all grades through the implementation of creative and innovative pedagogical strategies.
- Build on the culture of the school’s commitment to transformation and diversity.
- Reviewing and advising on all the systems operating in the school.
- An ability to collaboratively develop the strategic vision of the school by working closely with the Management Team and School Governing Body in the formulation and execution of the school’s strategic priorities.
- Have appropriate experience in academic and general administration, including the implementation and execution of curricula as well as planning, organising, motivating, supervising and controlling of school activities.
- Transparent and participative management.
- Proactive in addressing systems and policies to ensure the effective and efficient day to day running of the school, such as learner discipline, staff well-being, etc.
- Ensure the efficient maintenance of daily school activities, general administration with excellent organizational skills.
- Have sound financial skills, experience in budgeting and the management of resources.
- Have proven project management skills.
- Have proven strengths in maintaining discipline and pastoral care.
- Ability to analyse and use data from various programs to assist in the management and development of the school.
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team, demonstrate strong emotional intelligence and conflict management skills.
- Ability for introspection, reflection, deal with criticism and acknowledge areas of growth, then applying it for interpersonal growth.
- Ability to positively engage with staff, parents, learners and stakeholders, especially during unfavourable circumstances.
- Ability to establish effective relationships, inspire and cultivate leadership in others, especially staff and learners.
- Ability to be flexible and agile when faced with adversity and dissent.
- Ability to manage diversity and the associated challenges encountered in a multi-cultural school environment to develop a schooling community which respects difference and human rights.
- Play a mediating role for staff, parents, learners and external role players.
Values and Principles:
- Someone whose life purpose is to impact positively on the lives of learners and has the awareness of the critical role both the parents and the community play in learners’ education.
- Invested in the development and wellbeing of teenagers and committed to pupil-based holistic education.
- Embrace the diverse school community and have the ability to communicate skillfully and to build relationships within the school and the broader community.
- Commitment to building a learning environment that embodies the values of Bergvliet High School, namely, proactiveness, awareness, resilience, persistence, reliability, respect and sense of belonging to a caring community.
- Strong commitment to honesty, accountability and integrity.
- Good mentor and positive motivator.