Applications from suitably qualified LAB TECHNICIANS are invited to apply for this SGB post commencing 1 January 2023:
- Applicants must have a Bachelor of Science Degree in chemistry and biology.
- Alternatively, recognition of prior learning (RPL) of 5 years or more in the position of lab assistant in a school or academic environment supplemented by relevant courses.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in chemical and/or laboratory management.
- Health and Safety skills and certificates
- Driver’s license and own transport.
- To ensure effective laboratory management, practical assistance, support and administrative functions to the Life Science and Physical Science departments.
- To maintain safe, cared-for and clean laboratories, food lab and relevant classrooms.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up and pack away experiments and demonstrations required by the various department staff (Physics, Life and Natural Sciences)
- Prepare equipment and chemicals before lessons – from test tubes to state-of-the-art microscopes
- Ensure that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals, drugs and other materials are appropriately stored
- Record and dispose of equipment and chemicals which are unusable
- Collecting fresh plan matter and animal material
- Making up solutions and reagents
- Liaise with Heads of Subjects (Physical Sciences, Life and Natural Sciences) with regards to requirements for equipment and chemicals
- Obtain quotes, order, and take receipt of equipment and chemicals as required
- Purchase and collect any consumables required for practical work
- Maintain inventories for equipment and chemicals which must be updated annually
- Liaise with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work plans
- Maintain and repair equipment and laboratory apparatus
- Support the work of teachers in classes and laboratory sessions and give technical advice to staff and students
- Manage the stock control of chemicals and equipment
- Ensure that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly
- Utilise good working knowledge in MS Word, Excel, Teams and Email
- Relief reception at the switchboard
Applications with a comprehensive CV, academic transcript, qualifications and 2 contactable referees may be emailed to the HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 1 December 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be expected to be available for interviews at a date, time and place determined by BHS. If you have not been contacted by 20 January 2023, please assume that your application was unsuccessful. Prospective employees are obliged to confirm (on an affidavit) that they have never been convicted of a sexual offence against a child or person as well as provide a police clearance certificate. The SGB reserves the right not to appoint an applicant, should the needs of the school change.